|Collection||Ethnographic Study - Beaver County|
|Object Name||Ethnographic Study|
|Title||Ethnographic Study of Beaver County|
|Scope & Content||
The materials in this study cover the year 1992 and exist in written, photographic and audio form.
The collection is arranged into five series: Report, Journal, Visual Images, Recorded Subjects, and Miscellaneous.
The main bulk of the collection deals with visual and recorded material. These are also the main strengths of the collection.
Ethnographic Survey commissioned by the Steel Industry Heritage Corporation - 1993. In 1992, 1993, and 1997, the Steel Industry Heritage Corporation commissioned a series of ethnographic surveys of the areas within the Steel Heritage region. The region encompasses a 7 county area: Armstrong, Allegheny, Beaver, Fayette, Greene, Washington and Westmoreland Counties.
The goal of the surveys was to gather information about the cultural life of the Steel Heritage region, in order to develop a cultural context and inventory of resources for cultural conservation planning in the region. Information fell into the following categories: 1) Ethnic/Racial 2) Occupational 3) Religious 4) Family/Community 5) Environmental/Geographical.
1) Social Structure
A) Current patterns of settlement and movement among social/cultural groups
B) Current location and viability of social/cultural organizations (ethnic, work-related, religious, leisure, age-related, gender-related)
C) Community gathering-places (formal and informal)
2) Expressive Culture
A) Living traditional skills, activities, events
B) Practitioners of these traditions
C) Places/contexts in which these traditions are practiced
3) Attitudes and Values, Issues and Concerns
- interaction among groups (formal/informal), new immigrants, changes in sense of identity (generational, geographical, other factors)
B) Occupational Issues
- job security, income level, retraining, unions, plant closings/mechanization, work ethic, pride in skills/abilities
- church closings and mergers, aging congregations, fewer ethnic-language services, interaction among religious/denominations
- "no future for our children here," change in sense of community, effects of suburbanization, gender roles/expectations, problems of aging, causes/effects of population loss/gain
- land ownership/use, need for development or for protection from development, reclamation of industrial land, water/air pollution, transportation access
|Dates of Creation||1992|