|Object Name||Ethnographic Study|
|Title||Ethnographic Study of McKeesport / Glassport|
|Scope & Content||
The materials contained in this study cover the year 1992. The collection is arranged into eight series: Reports, Visual Images, Recorded Subjects, Correspondence, Release Forms, Miscellaneous History, and Miscellaneous.
Reports, documents, audio tapes, and slides (no contact sheets or negatives) comprise the bulk of the collection.
The audio tapes are stored separately from the rest of the collection in the audio cabinet.
Each of the recorded subjects files contain the following: release form, biographical data form, and recording log.
Ethnographic Survey commissioned by the Steel Industry Heritage Corporation - 1993. In 1992, 1993, and 1997, the Steel Industry Heritage Corporation commissioned a series of ethnographic surveys of the areas within the Steel Heritage region. The region encompasses a 7 county area: Armstrong, Allegheny, Beaver, Fayette, Greene, Washington and Westmoreland Counties.
The goal of the surveys was to gather information about the cultural life of the Steel Heritage region, in order to develop a cultural context and inventory of resources for cultural conservation planning in the region. Information fell into the following categories: 1) Ethnic/Racial 2) Occupational 3) Religious 4) Family/Community 5) Environmental/Geographical.
1) Social Structure
A) Current patterns of settlement and movement among social/cultural groups
B) Current location and viability of social/cultural organizations (ethnic, work-related, religious, leisure, age-related, gender-related)
C) Community gathering-places (formal and informal)
2) Expressive Culture
A) Living traditional skills, activities, events
B) Practitioners of these traditions
C) Places/contexts in which these traditions are practiced
3) Attitudes and Values, Issues and Concerns
- interaction among groups (formal/informal), new immigrants, changes in sense of identity (generational, geographical, other factors)
B) Occupational Issues
- job security, income level, retraining, unions, plant closings/mechanization, work ethic, pride in skills/abilities
- church closings and mergers, aging congregations, fewer ethnic-language services, interaction among religious/denominations
- "no future for our children here," change in sense of community, effects of suburbanization, gender roles/expectations, problems of aging, causes/effects of population loss/gain
- land ownership/use, need for development or for protection from development, reclamation of industrial land, water/air pollution, transportation access
|Dates of Creation||1992|